Sunday, November 22, 2009

This Is It

We're getting ready to start our final performance of the tour.  We're in half-hour before our 3 PM show at Brooklyn College.


Crossing the Hudson on the way to New York


Whitman Hall at Brooklyn College







We got to the city around noon and everyone took off for lunch at various places in the neighborhood then we came back to the usual pre-show ritual of fight call and sound check.  We all feel the reality of this wonderful tour coming to an end but first and foremost we have a show to do and our job is to maintain the level of performance quality that we've tried to provide at every stop.  And we all know that.


Whitman Hall in the Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts



But it's going to be tough to say goodbye to the friends we've come to know on the road and to the experience we've shared together.  Most of the cast and crew will be leaving right after the show.  Only a few of us are riding back to Abingdon together.  Some of us will be working together in the 2010 season at Barter but as is true for any show some of us may never work together again.

We're all going to miss each other and this show.  I can say that for me the tour has been an educational experience on so many levels and I'm very grateful for the opportunity that has been given to me to do this show, to represent Barter and to experience the beauty and variety of this country.  It literally has been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I will never forget it or the people with whom I've been lucky enough to share it.



Thank you all.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice last posting--or at least, the last one before the tour officially ended. It is nice to read that you appreciated the experience as much as you did. As you wrote, it was indeed once-in-a-lifetime.

    I am glad I made the effort to come to Hazard to see you all two weeks ago. I heard some nice comments about the Barter's group of actors in the men's room at The Forum during intermission. I guess they count, don't they?!

    I asked Eugene on the telephone yesterday morning if you all were going to be welcomed back to Abingdon with a parade. Guess not. It would nice that your accomplisments would be acknowledged, though.

    Eugene told me that he has "Eugene the Wolf" in his living room, where it is scaring the furballs out of Gracie. He said someone bought it at the auction, then donated it to the Barter, which in turn gave it to Eugene. What will he do with it? He can't ride it! I would like to see it in his home, though, so I hope he doesn't get rid of it before I visit on Sunday. I am seeing the two Christmas shows then, then I will bring "the girls" (my mother and her friends Jane and Shirley) back to see the musical on Wednesday afternoon, December 9th.

    Enough of my tangential comments. (I am good at making them, though, don't you think?) Once again, I want to say that I was impressed by what you posted. You have a knack for it.

    ReplyDelete